Full weekend!
What's been happening this weekend....this past Friday, I went to Taize prayer service. The music they sing is just absolutely beautiful and delightful to hear. I really enjoyed the moments of silence, prayer, music and time with God in a huge cathedral lighted mostly by candles. It's nice to have some variation in worship once in awhile, since I don't normally set foot in a catholic church.
On Saturday, it was the Navs work day, helping out with a local women's shelter. It was little odd to see a familiar face there...when my housemate and I had been in town looking for a place to rent in July, our first place was an extremely run-down unit not far from where we live now, which was small, dim, smelly, and in desperate need of repair. In the unit lived a young mother with one or two kids...she and her daughter seem to have ended up in that women's shelter. I guess it was all just a reminder and eye-opening experience to learn how easy it is to end up in a difficult sitation, to know the community is doing something to help families out, and that we were able to help out in a small way by cleaning up the place. Thanks to those who sponsored me!
After half a day of working at the women's shelter, I had to go work at the Engineering Formal. Admission was free, but donations were being accepted for the local literacy centre, which is where I work during the week. So I just sat at the front door, collecting donations and greeting all the people coming to check out the open house. Every year, the graduating engineering class builds and decorates their own venue on campus for their formal, putting in 40 hours per person! I thought one of the murals of the Eiffel Tower was brilliant! What a piece of art! You had to see it to understand.
At dinnertime, we had a great time preparing/cooking it all, and eating at a fabulous house that a friend is housesitting for. They even had a hot tub we could use! Some people are just so hospitable, it is unbelievable!
Today, there's the Praise and Power service in the evening...so that will be to look forward to. Music is such a big part of my life and worship to God! Exciting stuff!
On Saturday, it was the Navs work day, helping out with a local women's shelter. It was little odd to see a familiar face there...when my housemate and I had been in town looking for a place to rent in July, our first place was an extremely run-down unit not far from where we live now, which was small, dim, smelly, and in desperate need of repair. In the unit lived a young mother with one or two kids...she and her daughter seem to have ended up in that women's shelter. I guess it was all just a reminder and eye-opening experience to learn how easy it is to end up in a difficult sitation, to know the community is doing something to help families out, and that we were able to help out in a small way by cleaning up the place. Thanks to those who sponsored me!
After half a day of working at the women's shelter, I had to go work at the Engineering Formal. Admission was free, but donations were being accepted for the local literacy centre, which is where I work during the week. So I just sat at the front door, collecting donations and greeting all the people coming to check out the open house. Every year, the graduating engineering class builds and decorates their own venue on campus for their formal, putting in 40 hours per person! I thought one of the murals of the Eiffel Tower was brilliant! What a piece of art! You had to see it to understand.
At dinnertime, we had a great time preparing/cooking it all, and eating at a fabulous house that a friend is housesitting for. They even had a hot tub we could use! Some people are just so hospitable, it is unbelievable!
Today, there's the Praise and Power service in the evening...so that will be to look forward to. Music is such a big part of my life and worship to God! Exciting stuff!
